Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

"Getting back into the gym"

Oh, I am motivated all right... Motivated to do a whole bunch of nothin'. Some call it the "winter blues" others "SAD" (seasonal affective disorder) - I call it "winters in New England take a toll on me" every single year. This year is no different. In fact, I feel like it is a little bit worse because Boston has been hit with a lot of snow this winter (over 60 inches so far). I feel like every time I turn around; I am staring at this:





And I despise the snow. Hate it. Wouldn't mind if I never saw another teeny-tiny little snowflake again in my life. Sadly, this is just not the case --- yet. 
I am not sure if it is the depressing gray that is a constant during winter, or the below freezing temperatures, or even the shortened daylight that really gets to me; but for some reason every winter (especially around end of January, beginning of February) I lose all motivation to do anything - especially keeping up with my health and fitness habits. And this really bugs me. I feel like everything is such a struggle during this time, and my want/need to get to the gym goes to the wayside. 
Well, I am tired of being tired. I am tired of not feeling my best (like when I do when I work out regularly). I am tired of being and feeling lazy. The cycle must stop!




So, I am pulling out the 'big guns' and using every trick I know to get myself motivated again:
 
1. Switching up my work out routine: I usually do the same thing when I work out. Elliptical and free weights. By incorporating variety (such as workout DVDs) I am hoping to 'spice up my gym life'.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
2. Music: I don't know about you, but music is a big factor in the quality of a sweat sesh for me. Lately, I have had little luck finding good music to really get me psyched up and ready to go. My gym playlist is over-played, and actually kind of lame. Finding new workout music will give me the extra push I need to workout harder.
- - - - - - - - - - - 
3. New gear: I have been putting off getting new sneakers for a while now. Currently, I wear my Nike Shox and honestly am not a fan (although I do think it has something to do with the Nike insert that they put in them) I have gone twice now, and have left both times sneaker-less. I just have not found that sneaker - yet. Mission "get new sneakers" will be completed; oh yes it will.
- - - - - - - - - - - 
4. New Goals: Since I am maintaining my weight loss, the ol' "lose weight" goal just isn't cutting it anymore. Honestly, what I really want to is tone up and Become stronger. I am going incorporate new (to me) strength training exercises and get my Jillian Michaels on.
- - - - - - - - - - -




I feel better all ready. 

- A

0 comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Leave some love for Love4Living...